How Important is Parental Involvement in a Child’s Education?
Parent involvement in their child’s education is very important. Research has shown that greater parent involvement correlates with greater student success. Parents can get involved by volunteering at and donating to their child’s school, helping their child with homework, and showing interest in their child’s day. Whether your student attends a public school or a private Christian school in Tampa, parent involvement is one of the most important parts of nurturing your child’s success throughout their education.
The importance of parent involvement
There are many reasons as to why parent/guardian involvement is an important factor in helping students excel in school. First and foremost, it sets an example for students, showing them that school is important. Parent involvement also communicates to their child that they are important to them, and that their parents care about their success.
Involvement in their child’s school also gives parents and guardians a different perspective on their student’s learning environment. When parents are spending time on campus during school hours and school activities, it helps parents better understand what is going on in the classroom. The parents are able to get insight on a teacher’s job and how they educate students while also keeping them safe and well adjusted. This shows parents the dedication that teachers, faculty and staff have for the students and the school, which encourages parents to partner with their children throughout their student’s education.
Being involved is important for students of all ages
Generally, parents of preschool and elementary age students are very involved in school activities and volunteering. However, as students get older, parent involvement becomes less frequent. This is because the students are growing to be more independent and there is not as much of a want for their parents to be around at school. Sometimes, parents don’t see as much of an importance to be involved because their students are less dependent on them. Despite these things, being involved in your child’s education in middle school and high school is just as important as it is when they are younger.
The best ways a parent can help their child throughout their education
There are many ways that parents can get involved at their child’s school. Here are some of the ways that we find to be the most effective:
- Volunteer at school during school hours and school events. This type of involvement is required at Bayshore schools because it promotes interest in their student’s education and gives parents insight on what is happening at their child’s school.
- Show interest in their day at school. This opens up room for conversation. Ask open-ended questions instead of yes/no questions, such as “What was the best part of your day?” and “If you had to tell me what your day was like in 5 words, what would you say?” These open-ended questions start conversations that give the parent the opportunity to congratulate your child on their successes and provide support during their struggles. This also shows the child that their parent is genuinely interested in their education and how school is going.
- Help with homework. For many students, homework is where children learn to apply the skills they are taught in the classroom. If they are struggling with their homework, support and guided direction can help further their understanding of what they are learning at school.
- Donate fiscally or with your resources. This helps the school expand and gives them the ability to better your student’s education.
- Check in with the teacher. Ask if they need any support. Talk with them about how your student is doing in their class and if there are any areas that are standing out to the teacher. Creating a good relationship with teachers and staff allows parents to become more involved and aware of what is going on in their child’s education.
Christian schools in Tampa
Are you looking for a school that provides opportunities for parent involvement? Bayshore schools may be the place for you and your student. We encourage parent involvement through all ages of education and believe in the importance of connecting with families.
Contact us, today, if you have any questions about how you can get involved with your students while they are attending school at Bayshore Christian School.